Thursday, December 2, 2010

The hinges are fitted and my Wartburg is going to a new home.

Got the new hinges fitted to the Trabi. Not as easy a job as I thought it would be.
Original IFA hinges are no longer available, only after market ones can be bought nowadays and they're not the highest quality. The fit is also different and if you're not extremely careful, the alignment of the door will be affected and the tail gate will not close or lock properly.
I managed it anyway, in the end and put the shock arms back in place, after giving them a spray of lubrication fluid. Mind you, the air was pretty blue for a while and it wasn't from the two stroke engine!

Next job is to respray the bonnet, which was the most tatty area of the paintwork.
After that, just a couple of touch-ups here and there and that's as much as I'm doing.
I like the idea of having a Trabi that's very original, but looks smart as well.
I had toyed with the idea of a respray but decided against it.

My Wartburg 353 Tourist has been sold and is going shortly to it's new owner in Wales.
I couldn't keep two cars and the Trabi still needs work, so one had to go.
I'm happy it's gone to a good home and will be enjoyed and looked after.
It's due to go this weekend, but the weather will probably have the final say.

No comments:

Post a Comment