Thursday, April 28, 2011

Other classics I own

It would be fair to say that I love classic cars of all eras.
In addition to Two strokers I also have a passion for vintage vans and trucks and also modern classics.

My daily driver is a Rover 216 Coupe, 1995. It's one of the Rover's that was fitted with the Honda 1.6 16valve fuel injected engine and it's a cracker. It's quick, yet still reasonably economical and is nicely finished and appointed inside being a Rover. The car drives like a modern car, yet is stylish and looks like a 5 year old car rather than one that's 16 years old.
The seats are particularly comfortable on long journeys and the double, detachable  glass roof is a very nice feature.



The car was resprayed at some point to a high standard and the original Rover alloys are in very good condition.
I bought the car last November, when it had 73k miles on it and full service history from new.
I've since done about 4k miles on it and it's been utterly reliable.



Mot is due soon and I have replaced both CV joints and the silencer and given the car a full service myself, so she's on the button. I might be tempted to sell the car  with a full mot, as I could do with a diesel van for practical reasons.



I also have a '93 Leyland Daf 200 ( 2.0 petrol van) that I bought as a project.
The van has a bit of corrosion on the bottom of the back doors and on the wheel arches, but needs very little to sort out for the test. It will also need an exhaust., but that's about it. The van drives perfectly and the engine runs like a sewing machine and is very quiet.  The van is quite decent to drive despite no power steering. But, once on the move it's fine.



It was originally a mini-bus, so has glass windows down each side.
Someone at some point took out most of the seating except for the row behind the front row, making it like a 6 seat crew type van. Of course the seats just bolt in and out, so this row could be removed also to create even more space and a standard van.



This van could easily be made into a camper van quite easily with a rock n roll type bed fitted as it already has the windows down the sides and being originally a mini-bus the floor area is done out in carpeted plywood.
An electrician had this van before me, which explains why it's so clean inside.
I'm unsure what I'll do with the van, but |I'll probably do what I need to for the mot and decide after that.
These vans are very spacious for their size and are similar to a Ford Transit room wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment