Wednesday, October 13, 2010

' Bruno ' The Trabant!

My Trabant was named 'Bruno' by its owner, before the one who sold it to me.
A German Professor ' Lew Schnurr' owned it since 1991 and traveled back and forth to the Uk a number of times in the car. It also went to the Alps I believe.

Prof Schnurr some trabi enthusiasts might know as he translated the 'Trabant Owners Handbook' from German to English. I got a copy of the book, supplied with the car and it's an excellent manual, full of easy to understand instructions and well illustrated with diagrams and sketches.

Today, I started to do 'Bruno' up a little.
The carburettor was running slightly slow as the engine sometimes would stall on idle, so I took the front grill off to get access to the carburettor and turned the idle screw. It's running better now.

I took all the carpets, mats and underlay out of the car and have them soaking in the bath.
I believe this is the first time they have been removed from the car and in dire need of a good soak and scrub.
Depending on how they come up after a clean, I'll decide whether or not to buy a new set or refit them in the car.
The driver side and passenger side foot-wells have some rust on the inside ( the other side underneath the car is fine) so I have scraped them clean and ready for some deox c which is basically a rust eating compound and de-oxidant.
I've never used this before but have heard only good things about how effective it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment